Free iBook targets new writers, missionaries, Christian journalists
BUIES CREEK, N.C.—Two journalism professors from Christian universities have teamed up to make a short e- book for iPad or iPhone that uses interactive content to help new writers snag a byline.
“A One-Step Guide to a Byline” is designed for new writers who want to know the bare minimum for writing an article for the popular press and it uses roll-over features, an interactive quiz and eight videos to help writers succeed, says Michael Ray Smith, project director and professor of communication from Campbell University in Buies Creek.
Smith joined Wally Metts, director of graduate studies in communication at Spring Arbor University, to make a fun, user-friendly book with enhanced content about the basics of writing. The “one-step” is finding the essential conflict that drives a good story.
“We wanted to get a guide for our friends in ministry who want an at-a-glance approach to telling a story for publication,” Smith said, adding that the guide has lots of content available at the touch. “A One-Step Guide to a Byline” is a free iBook through Apple’s iBook store.
The book features:
• Eight how-to videos from successful writers including best-selling author Cecil Murphey (125 books) and two-time Pulitzer Prize winner Manny Garcia;
• The guide includes “The Theology of Journalism” by Arne H. Fjeldstad, internationally known for his work with journalism and ministry;
• It includes pop-up boxes that give more detail when you touch them;
• It includes an example of writing from the Wall Street Journal and one from the community press;
• It includes web sites that open with a touch;
• It includes a glossary . . . again, at a touch;
• This guide is designed for new writers and journalists working in ministry;
• Everything in it works with a touch screen available on iPad or iPhone;
• It is underwritten by a grant from Campbell University.
Smith said he will send anyone who wants a copy of the non-interactive PDF free on request. Drop him a note at email@example.com.